04 September 2018

Izzy and Alex

So, I dropped my youngest child off at HIGH SCHOOL. I wanted to just sit in the parking lot all day.
I didn't. I went home. I turn on the TV and an old episode of Grey's Anatomy is on. It's the one where Izzy (dying from cancer) and Alex get married. 
I start crying like a baby. 
It's the show, not because of HIGH SCHOOL. ha ha
Well, here's the thing, Izzy's hospital room is covered with notes and cards and photos. I mean there's not an empty space on the wall. Alex and her had just gotten married, and Izzy's hair starts to fall out. 
Wow. Flashback to 2015 when I spent months in the hospital with blast crisis CML turning into blast crisis AML (leukemia, it's bad).
My hospital room had notes everywhere, cards everywhere, pictures everywhere. And when my hair started to fall out, we had a head shaving party.
Looking back, sure, I felt awful and was fighting hard to stay alive until a bone marrow transplant donor could be found, but at my head shaving party were 3 of the pastors of my church, my darling husband and two of my children. We took pictures; it was a blast. 
Then I start thinking about the endless, endless stream of visitors that I was lucky enough to enjoy. Also, my best friend from high school flew up. My best friend from college flew up. My little sister flew up. 
I loved seeing all my dear friends. Loved it. 
Weird, right?

It was, realistically, the worst time of my life. Fighting for my life. 
And looking back I can't help but smile. Smiling through tears. Happy tears. 
So, thank you, Grey's Anatomy, for reminding me of how good it was, even when it was bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment