01 January 2015

#selfie4Karen

One of the groups I belong to on Facebook is called Friends by choice ... CML sisters by blood.
It's a closed/secret group of "just women coming together to share their CML stories or to even just vent, encourage and let loose and connect with other ladies."
There are 509 of us in the group.
One of us entered heaven on Dec. 30. She had been fighting chronic myelogenous leukemia for 15 years. 
I never got the chance to meet Karen in person. All I knew of her was from what she posted on Facebook. And, quite often, she would pop in to the CML sisters group, post a selfie and simply say "hi to my sisters." It was her trademark. A simple selfie. Her sweet smiling face.
One of her last posts to the CML sisters group was a selfie taken during her ambulance ride to the hospital a few days before she died. Even then she looked beautiful.
In honor of her we are all posting our own selfies to the CML sisters group. #selfie4Karen
It's beautiful. So beautiful. One of the CML sisters counted 150 so far. Wow.
Looking through the posts, here's what struck me about the photos ...
A handful of us are in the hospital.
There's a picture from a hospital bed. A few more are wearing hospital gowns.
But we don't look sick.
We look young. Happy. Beautiful. Strong. Not sick.
I know a lot of us feel crappy - I read it in our posts every day. We struggle. We have pain. We have fears. We have frustrations. We have anger. We have cancer.
I treasure this group of women. They are wise. Compassionate. Inspiring. Giving. Silly. They understand what it's like to live with this cancer. 
And they smile anyway. 
Today, the smiles are for our dear, sweet sister, Karen. It feels like she's getting a standing ovation. 
One of the CML sisters posted "I feel like I just met all my sisters with all the selfies."
Another CML sister said "I LOVE seeing everyone's beautiful faces. I know Karen would love that we are thinking of her and celebrating her spirit." 
My #selfie4Karen

3 comments: